Interesting Facts About Facial Proportions!
The General Proportions of the Human Head
- The eyes are located 1/2 way between the top of the head to the tip of the chin
- The head width is generally 5 eye lengths wide (Ex: eye= 3 cm width of head= 15 cm)
- The space between the eye is the width of one eye
- The tip of the nose is located between 1/2 to 1/3 of the way between the eyeline and the tip of the chin
- *Generally- the width of the nose is the same as the width of an eye
- The split of the lip is located 1/2 way between the tip of the nose and the bottom of the chin
- The lips are usually the width of the span between the irises of the eyes
- The top of the ears are in line with the eyes
The Loomis Method on Proportion
Andrew Loomis (1892-1959) was an accomplished American Illustrator. These rare out of print books are helpful for students studying proportion. Click on the links for full version of his books.
Drawing the Head and Hands
Figure Drawing For All Its Worth
The Proportion of Beauty
Click here to see what real beauty is all about!!
Beauty, Proportion and the Golden Ratio
Click here for interesting facts
Drawing Noses- Part One: the anatomy
Part Two- Step by Step drawing
Facial Development in Utero. The birth of the philtrum
Here is a video about the infamous philtrum (aka snot slot)